Sunday, December 20, 2009

Blackdome Presentation


Climbing mountains to raise money and awareness for an Alzheimer’s has taught me to focus on two very different areas before I leave for a climb. The first thing that I have to do is make sure that I am in good enough shape to complete the climb and to make sure that I have the correct gear with me to be ready if something goes wrong. The second part of preparation, and really the more difficult of the two, is to make sure that my efforts are going actually gain attention for Alzheimer’s. This is more difficult than the first because there is really no guaranteed course of action that will bring success. It is sort of try everything, see what works process.


Part of this preparation is before each of my climbs, I contact the Alzheimer’s Association office in that state to let them know what I am doing, and to see if they are able to help me out with media attention and other contacts that will make my climbing more effective. When I called the North Carolina’s office, I lucked out and was able to get in touch with a lady who had spent the last ten years working in the outdoor industry. She told me that she was friends with the owners of Blackdome Sporting Goods in Asheville. Better yet, she told me that if I was interested, I could make a presentation there as I passed through town.


I had made enough calls to sponsors to know what I would need to say in my presentation, but I was still a little nervous. Fortunately, I was 1,000 miles from home and knew that none of my friends could show up and try to make me laugh while I talked.


I ended up having a great time at the presentation, and although we didn’t have a big of turnout as hoped, it was still a success. I talked, the viewers drank juice courtesy of Old Orchard, and I ended up getting a decent amount of pledges while I was there. I plan to do this a lot more going forward, so if you know of someplace that I could make a presentation at while I climb, drop me a line. I appreciate the help.


Merry Christmas!!!

No comments: