Sunday, November 8, 2009

A step away from the usual

I usually use this time to update you on a certain aspect of my climbs. Over the past few months you have seen me on highpoints, heard me talk about the joys of wonderful views, and the disappointments of tree covered peaks. You have read about the money and awareness we are raising, and the people I have met along the way. It is my goal to bring as much of the action to you, and really help you see what goes into reaching the 50 state highpoints.

I would love to continue with that this week. I would love complain about the fog and the winding roads. I would love to make some sarcastic remarks about some unusual town I have traveled through. But to do so, I would have to pretend that this week is just like every other, and that would be a lie. You see, this past Wednesday, my grandfather who fought and struggled with Alzheimer's for the past 12 years, passed away.

I grew up watching the effects of Alzheimer's, both on him and the family around him. When I started Summit Up, it made me proud to raise not only money for a cure, but to raise awareness for the disease and the countless families it has affected. I never was able to explain to my grandfather what I am doing, but I imagine he would have been pretty proud to know.

For me, his struggle has been a reminder to never give up. His passing has been a reminder of how important it is to try and make a difference while you can. I have never been more enthused about what we are doing, and I wanted to take this moment to say thank you once again for being part of this fight.

No comments: